In the boychik-lit story…
- The male main character is looking for sex and is bewildered by emotional entanglements.
- He is a slacker and a hacker (a shlacker). He is clever and resourceful but chronically lazy.
- He’s a dropout who can’t hold a steady job.
- Far from being the hero with a single tragic flaw, the boychik is riddled with worrisome flaws, with one or two possibly redeeming qualities.
- The tone is observational and witty, sometimes sarcastic.
- The boychik tells his story in a confessional, first-person narrative.
- At the end of the novel, the hero has almost managed to undo the complicated mess he’s made in the course of the story and thinks he has learned important lessons, which may or may not be valid.
Examples? I just happen to know of a new one...