Host Gerald Everett Jones and his co-hosts Cheyenne Cockrell and Thomas Page discuss “The Return of the Independent Bookstore” with special guest Jack Leidner, past proprietor of Clemens & Company bookstore in Newman, Georgia. Are the indie bookstores, in fact, making a comeback? Jack responds to our questions, including:
- If I told you I planned to open a new indie bookstore, what advice would you give me?
- What types of books did your customers want?
- The Borders bookstore chain was built on a new approach to computerized inventory. Do you think that was a good idea?
- What about events? Poetry, book signings, concerts, even community events like clubs and grass-roots politics. Should a bookstore promote those?
- Should an author plan to do bookstore signings and readings? Are those relevant anymore?
- Do you have an opinion about Amazon’s plans to open retail bookstores that have automated cashier stations?
- What’s your next business venture?
And, as ever, there's lots of advice on how to get published, including the support resources at our website getpublishedradio.com.